WellCare Paying $120,000 Civil Penalty to Resolve Questionable Campaign Contributions in Florida
Saturday, Aug 22,2009, 9:05:04 AM Click:
WellCare Health Plans Inc. (WCG) will pay a civil penalty of $120,000 to resolve charges it made questionable campaign contributions from 2003 through 2007.
The managed care company said it voluntarily disclosed the contributions to the Florida Elections Commission, which found four WellCare units didn't have a source of revenue independent of affiliate transfers and cash balances, and some of their contributions were for more than the legal limit.
"We are pleased this matter has been resolved," Vice Chairman Thomas F. O'Neil III said. "Our voluntary disclosure to the commission demonstrates our enterprise-wide commitment to regulatory compliance, transparency, and accountability." He added those responsible for the issues are no longer employed by the company.
WellCare also said there is no evidence the violations were intentional, and it halted contributions to Florida election campaigns in 2008.
Shares were off 1% to $24.65 in recent trading among a broader market rally but are up 91% so far this year.
-By Alexandra Scaggs, Dow Jones Newswires; 212-416-2673; alexandra.scaggs@ dowjones.com
You may also be interested in:
- Ohio Attorney General Reaches $115 Million Settlement With Greenberg
- Unknowns Linger Over Swine Flu; Health Officials Warn Agains
- AIG More Stable and Rebuilding, Liddy Tells Shareholders
- BestDay Audio for Tuesday, Oct. 20: Consultant Richard Weber on Insurance as an Asset Class; LIMRA Researcher Robert Baranoff
- Insurers Can Find Sunshine in the Cloud
by Sylvester Enoghase Mar 24, 2009 (Daily Independent / All Africa Global Media
CNinsure, the Nasdaq-listed independent Chinese insurance intermediary, has
SEATTLE, March 24, 2009 / PRNewswire via COMTEX / -- Milliman study: five years
HARTFORD, Conn. - (BUSINESS WIRE) - The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc.
Copyright: Unknown Source: PR Newswire U.S. Wordcount: Leader of Georgia
Today, eHealthInsurance (NASDAQ: EHTH), the leading online source of health
Copyright: Business Wire Source: Business Wire Wordcount: WALTHAM,
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Class-action Suit Filed Against Nationwide Insurance
- Fiesta Insurance Plans 18 New Stores after Sales Growth
- Hartford Lawsuit Accuses Arch of Poaching Employees, Business
- Couple Charged With $38 Million Workers' Compensation Insura
- Florida Regulators Cite Liberty National Life Insurance In B
- BestWeek: Combined Ratio for P/C Writers Tips 100 Mark in Fi
- Allstate Asks N.J. for 15.4% Average Auto Rate Increase
- Towers Perrin, Watson Wyatt Merger Could Shake Up Employee Benefits Industry
- ‘Cash for Clunkers’ Requires Year of Continuous Auto Insurance Coverage on Trade-In
- Judge Upholds $13.1 Million Verdict in Lincoln Annuity Patent Case
- Rate Moderation Is Slow But Steady
- NAMIC Applauds Legislator Group Adoption of Bad Faith Resolution
- Colony Buys FDIC Loans
- House Dem Leaders: No Health Care Vote As Recess Nears
- The plan of Treasury Secretary to combat the financial crisi
- Huarong Asset Eyeing Insurance Market
- Actuaries Examine Lessons Learned From The Financial Crisis
- Major Insurers Lead Market Turn